Do you need helping paying for food? Visit the CalFresh Help Clinic to see if you qualify for CalFresh, a program that gives you money each month to buy groceries. You can meet with one of our CalFresh Navi-Gators to learn more about the program, start your online application, and connect with free food resources on campus.
Make an Appointment
To Apply Online Without Assistance:
1. Complete your phone interview- after submitting your online application a County Eligibility Worker will call you within 10 business days. Be sure to answer any unknown phone numbers, the County will NOT leave a message and will NOT call you back. If you miss your phone interview, your case will be automatically closed and you will need to re-submit your application online again.
2. After your phone interview you will be instructed to collect verification documents that may include:
- Class schedule (SFSU Gateway Portal)
- Financial Aid verification e.g CalGrant A/B, Work Study or EOP letter (SFSU Gateway Portal or ask your EOP advisor)
- Pay stubs (if you are working)
If you need help gathering these documents please visit the CalFresh Help Clinic or email email@example.com
3. Receive your EBT card in the mail
5. Re-certify your benefits every 6 months, visit the CalFresh Help Clinic or email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
To be eligible for CalFresh you must:
- Make between $0 - $2010 per month for a household of 1
- Have U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, U/T Visa or refugee status
- Not have a meal plan from the University that covers 2+ meals per day
- If you are younger than 22 and live with your parents, you must apply with your family (if you are over 22 you can apply on your own)
- If you are over 18 and do not live with your parents you can apply on your own
- Student must meet at least ONE of the following exemptions:
- Work an average of 20 hours/week or more
- Be approved for and accepted Work Study
- Enrolled in EOP, MESA, or Guardian Scholars Program
- Have a child under 12
- Receiving Cal Grant A or B
- Other exemptions may apply
**If you have a meal plan from the University, and receive 2+ meals per day, unfortunately you will not qualify for CalFresh. We recommend applying at a later time when you no longer have a meal plan.**
If you are approved for CalFresh you will receive an EBT card that looks like a debit card. You can use this card to purchase food at most grocery stores and farmers' markets.