Do you need helping paying for food? Visit the CalFresh Help Clinic to see if you qualify for CalFresh, a program that gives you money each month to buy groceries. You can meet with one of our CalFresh Navi-Gators to learn more about the program, start your online application, and connect with free food resources on campus.
To Apply Online Without Assistance:
Step #1- Start your application online now!
Step #2- Complete your phone interview- after submitting your online application a County Eligibility Worker will call you within 10 business days. Be sure to answer any unknown phone numbers, the County will NOT leave a message and will NOT call you back. If you miss your phone interview, your case will be automatically closed and you will need to re-submit your application online again.
Step #3- After your phone interview you will be instructed to collect verification documents that may include:
Class schedule (SFSU Gateway Portal)
Financial Aid verification e.g CalGrant A/B, Work Study or EOP letter (SFSU Gateway Portal or ask your EOP advisor)
Pay stubs (if you are working)
If you need help gathering these documents please visit the CalFresh Help Clinic or email email@example.com
Step #4- Receive your EBT card in the mail
Step #5- Activate your EBT card
Step #6- Re-certify your benefits every 6 months, visit the CalFresh Help Clinic or email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
If you are approved for CalFresh you will receive an EBT card that looks like a debit card. You can use this card to purchase food at most grocery stores and farmers' markets.
To be eligible for CalFresh you must:
- Make between $0 - $2010 per month for a household of 1
- Have U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, U/T Visa or refugee status
- Not have a meal plan from the University that covers 2+ meals per day
- If you are younger than 22 and live with your parents, you must apply with your family (if you are over 22 you can apply on your own)
- If you are over 18 and do not live with your parents you can apply on your own
- Student must meet at least ONE of the following exemptions:
- Work an average of 20 hours/week or more
- Be approved for and accepted Work Study
- Enrolled in EOP, MESA, or Guardian Scholars Program
- Have a child under 12
- Receiving Cal Grant A or B
- Other exemptions may apply
**If you have a meal plan from the University, and receive 2+ meals per day, unfortunately you will not qualify for CalFresh. We recommend applying at a later time when you no longer have a meal plan.**
Yourself! You will eventually need to gather verification documents to complete your application. Your CalFresh Navi-Gator can help you figure out which documents you need and how to get them.
CalFresh Navi-Gators are students trained to assist other students with applying for CalFresh. CalFresh Navi-Gators volunteer one hour per week for the semester in the CalFresh Help Clinic, AS Food Pantry or AS Farmers Market.
To become a CalFresh Navi-Gator you must:
- Be an SF State student, all majors welcome. No experience required
- Commit to one hour per week for the semester
- Attend a CalFresh Navi-Gator training- held at the start of each semester
- Trainings are held once per semester. To find out when the next training will be please email, email@example.com
Fall 2019 Drop-in Hours
Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Drop-ins typically take 15-30 minutes.
**Fall 2019 Drop-in hours start on September 16, 2019**
Health Promotion & Wellness: 750 Font Blvd., Suite 5000 (Across from Mashouf Wellness Center & City Eats).