To address student hunger and homelessness through the development of sustainable and student-informed programs and policies that support the educational mission.
San Francisco State is particularly interested in advancing basic needs initiatives that are consistent with principles of social justice by minimizing stigmatization, promoting self-determination, embracing systemic solutions that align with SF State’s strategic values of equity and community.
Responding to the basic needs of San Francisco State University is imperative for Student Engagement and Well-being, a core area of emphasis in the CSU Graduation Initiative 2025, and has been a formal focus of the SF State following the release of the CSU Basic Needs Research Project, Phase I: Snapshot Study of Student Basic Needs in January 2016.
Comprised of students, staff and faculty from all cabinet areas, the Basic Needs Committee, serves as a permanent shared governance entity to advise University administration on priorities and best practices in responding to students’ basic needs. This committee has adopted the final report to the Vice President submitted by the SF State Ad Hoc Work Group on Responding to Food & Housing Insecurity.
Assistant Director for Basic Needs Initiatives
A position was created to focus on Basic Needs at SF State. The Assistant Director for Basic Needs Initiatives is administratively housed within Health Promotion & Wellness in Student Affairs & Enrollment Management.
For general inquiries about San Francisco State’s Basic Needs Initiatives or to become involved, please contact Jewlee Gardner, MPH, Interim Assistant Director for Basic Needs Initiatives, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basic Needs Data
- Ad Hoc Work Group Report – Responding to Food and Housing Insecurity (December 2017)
- Phase 1: Snapshot Study of Student Basic Needs (Released: January 2016) (CSU)
- White Paper: "Researching Basic Needs in Higher Education"(Released: October 2017) (CSU)
- Phase 2: ComprehensiveStudy of Student Basic Needs (Released: February 2018) (CSU)
- Action Report: CSU Activities for Students Facing Food and Housing Insecurity (Released: February 2018) (CSU)
- ACHA-NCHA II Spring 2016 Data on Food Insecurity
Information about CSU’s Basic Needs Initiatives can be found at https://www2.calstate.edu/impact-of-the-csu/student-success/basic-needs-initiative.